RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#166 :: Monday 24 August 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#166
Monday – 24 August 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Open Society Foundations to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The Daily Telegraph (UK): Russian summer madness. In a letter from Moscow, Roland Oliphant writes of disappearing pavements, vanishing food and holidaying citizens.
2. Reuters: ‘Putin the Polite,’ chilling hero of Russian souvenirs.
3. Reuters: Greg Feifer, A $620,000 watch tells what time it is in Vladimir Putin’s Russia.
4. Bloomberg: Brussels Break-In Shines Light on Putin’s European Mischief.
5. Kyiv Post: Alexei Bayer, Russia’s cancerous organs.
6. Kyiv Post: Simas Celutka, Russia’s challenge to the Western mind.
7. Euromaidan Press: Russia’s policy: ignore citizens and intimidate neighbors.
8. RFE/RL: ‘Mass Murder:’ Russian Patients Brace For Ban On Medical Imports.
9. RFE/RL: Shopping Spray: Loutish Russian’s Beer-Biting Patriotism.
10. The New Yorker: Masha Gessen, The Dearly Departed Return to Russia.
11. NBCNews.com: Russia’s Space Program in Crisis After Decades of Brain Drain, Neglect.
12. Moscow Times: Ivan Sukhov, Russia Is Drifting Into the Great Unknown.
13. Moscow Times: Andrei Sinitsyn, For Russians, Loyalty to Putin Is Loyalty to State.
14. New York Times: A Russian Soldier Story.
15. The Atlantic Council: “We want Ukraine to be a European country, not a Putin country,” Says Ukrainian MP.
16. Wall Street Journal: Michael Khodorkovsky, Putin Creates a Fantasyland. In Russia, history isn’t a matter of facts and figures, but of propaganda, to be rewritten by the regime.
17. Euromaidan Press: Ukraine’s Constitution and the “experts”
18. Human Rights in Ukraine: “We are faced with a threat to the very existence of the Crimean Tatar People”
19. National Public Radio (NPR): Russia’s War On Western Food: Detaining Cheese, Crushing Frozen Geese.
20. NCBNews.com: Russia’s Sanctions War Against the West Explained.
21. Newsweek.com: Rich Russian Poachers Are Stripping the Land of Wildlife.
22. Paul Goble: Putin’s ‘New People’ are the Black Hundreds of Today, Golts Says.
23. Los Angeles Times: White supremacist gathering underscores Russia’s nationalist trend.
24. UNIAN (Kyiv): Russia on the brink.
25. Forbes.com: Paul Roderick Gregory, Is A Slow Putsch Against Putin Under Way?
26. www.thedailybeast.com: Michael Weiss, Russia’s Playing a Double Game With Islamic Terror. Even as America touts its counterterrorism partnerships with Russia, evidence points to the FSB directly feeding Dagestanis to ISIS.
27. The National Interest: Russia’s Blast from the Past: Beware the Tu-95 Bear Strategic Bomber.
28. Paul Goble: How Next Round of Russia’s Disintegration May Begin.
29. Kyiv Post: Ukraine approaches Independence Day on Aug. 24 with warnings of new Russian-led attacks.
30. The Conversation: Bad news for Putin as support for war flags beyond Russia’s ‘troll farms’
31. Moscow Times: Judy Dempsey, NATO Is Unprepared for Conflict With Russia.
32. Washington Times: East Ukraine could be annexed soon.
33. Ottawa Citizen (Canada): The coming war with Russia.
34. The Daily Caller: McCain On Putin: ‘He Wants To Restore The Russian Empire’
35. The White House: Remarks by Celeste Wallander, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Russia and Central Asia on U.S. Policy on Russia.