RUSSIA & UKRAINE: Johnson’s Russia List contents with links :: 2014-#48 :: Thursday, 6 March 2014
Johnson’s Russia List :: 2014-#48 :: 6 March 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George
Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. CNN.com: Timothy Snyder, If Russia swallows Ukraine, the European system is finished.
2. Washington Post: Anne Applebaum, Russia’s Western enablers.
3. Long Beach Press Telegram: Hillary Clinton compares Vladimir Putin’s actions in Ukraine to Adolf Hitler’s in Nazi Germany.
4. Bloomberg: Kiev Barricades Brace for Putin Guns Amid Crimea Standoff.
5. Washington Post: Henry Kissinger, How the Ukraine crisis ends.
6. Interfax-Ukraine: All-Russian Center for the Study of Public Opinion shows support for Russia’s steps to defend Russian in Crimea.
7. www.russiatoday.com: Putin’s rating at two-year high for second consecutive week – pollsters.
8. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, A New Poll Shows That Putin’s Approval Increased After Sending Troops To Crimea.
9. The Daily Beast: Anna Nemtsova, Ukraine’s Mother Teresa Of The Maidan. (Dr. Olga Bogomolets)
10. Human Rights Watch: Rachel Denber, Dispatches: Leaked Call, But Where’s the Truth in Ukraine?
11. Kyiv Post: Estonian foreign minister, in leaked phone call, raises suspicions about Ukraine’s new government and sniper killings. (with partial transcript)
12. Reuters: Estonia denies leaked call implicates Ukraine protesters in killings.
13. Moscow Times: What the Papers Say, March 6, 2014.
14. Los Angeles Times: State Department mocks Putin ‘fictions’ on Ukraine.
15. US Department of State: President Putin’s Fiction: 10 False Claims about Ukraine.
16. RIA Novosti: Lavrov, Kerry Agree That Ukraine Should Uphold Peace Accord.
17. AP: US announces visa restrictions on Russians.
18. www.russiatoday.com: US in tenuous sabre rattling over Ukraine.
19. Moscow Times: Russia Preparing Response to U.S. and EU Sanctions.
20. Reuters: Crimea votes to join Russia, accelerating Ukraine crisis.
21. Financial Times: Russia needs to defend its interests with an iron fist. The Ukraine crisis has exposed the failure of post-cold war policies, writes Sergey Karaganov.
22. The National Interest: Andranik Migranyan, Putin Triumphs in Ukraine.
23. Moscow Time: Sergei Markov, Why There Will Be War in Ukraine.
24. http://jackmatlock.com: Jack Matlock, Ukraine: Ethnicity, Language, and Attitude Toward Russia.
25. The National Interest: Robert Legvold, How East and West Alike Compounded Ukraine’s Troubles.
26. www.foreignaffairs.com: Jeffrey Sachs, A New Post-Soviet Playbook. Why the West Should Tread Carefully in Ukraine.gf
27. Moscow Times: Ukraine Uncertainty Depressing Growth and Investment.
28. Reuters: Europe fears gas shortages if Russia cuts off Ukraine.
29. Moscow TImes: Chris Weafer, Crimean Crisis Will Exacerbate Capital Flight.
30. CNN.com: Olga Oliker, Does Putin want a new Cold War?
31. www.foreignaffairs.com: Daniel Treisman, Watching Putin in Moscow. What Russians Think of the Intervention in Ukraine.
32. Washington Post: Katrina vanden Heuvel, The Ukraine crisis calls for less bluster, more common sense.
33. The Diplomat: China Backs Russia on Ukraine. Despite its principle of non-interference, domestic and international interests have Beijing siding with Moscow.
34. Moscow Times: Protest Crackdowns Illegal, Human Rights Ombudsman Says.
35. www.russiatoday.com: Questions on Ukraine the West chooses not to answer.
36. RFE/RL: Robert Coalson, Russia Wags The Dog With Ukraine Disinformation Campaign.
37. http://reconsideringrussia.org: Pietro Shakarian, As the Ukraine Crisis Continues, Keep Georgia on Your Mind.
38. Classialite: Ian Holubiak, Oh, What is Pussy Riot? Just the Most “Important” Band in the World…Who’s Music S[***]ks Even Worse than Vlad Putin!
39. Moscow Times: Pussy Riot Attacked at McDonald’s.