RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#8 :: Wednesday, 13 January 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#8 :: Wednesday, 13 January 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: RBC: Experts predict 2021 to be year of shattered illusions for the US.
2. Facebook: Fred Weir, Free Speech.
3. RFE/RL: Putin Orders Mass Coronavirus Vaccinations From Next Week.
4. TASS: Pandemic in Russia may die out in summer 2021, expert says.
5. rt.com: ‘I’m coming home’: Navalny announces he will return to Russia on Sunday, despite stated belief that Kremlin tried to murder him – rt.com/russia/512362-navalny-return-kremlin-murder/
6. Moscow Times: Sam Greene, ‘Meet Me,’ Alexei Navalny Wrote. The opposition leader is setting up a showdown with both Putin and the people. Who will rise to the occasion?
7. Paul Goble: Pandemic Pushing West to Cooperation and Reform But Russia to Reaction, Isolation, and Decay, Shevtsova Says.
8. Moscow Times: Russian Ruble Is World’s Most Undervalued Currency on Big Mac Index
9. Bloomberg: Hedge Fund That Hasn’t Lost in a Decade Piles Into Russian Stocks
10. rt.com: US threatens sanctions against European firms working on Russia’s Nord Stream 2 pipeline – rt.com/business/512406-nord-stream-companies-us-threat/
11. Riddle: A tale of two pipelines. Maria Shagina sees echoes of 1982 in how the US is reacting to the construction of Nord Stream 2. – ridl.io/en/a-tale-of-two-pipelines/
12. Defense News: Dmitri Trenin, Russia analyst: What are the Kremlin’s priorities for 2021?
13. High North News (Norway): Russia Elevates Importance of Northern Fleet Upgrading it to Military District Status. Russia has upgraded the administrative status of its Northern Fleet for a second time in less than a decade. As of 1 January 2021 the Northern Fleet, whose area of operation includes the Arctic, has become its own military district.
14. South China Morning Post: New kind of cold war as US extends competition with China and Russia to the Arctic – scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3117366/new-kind-cold-war-us-extends-competition-china-and-russia-arctic
15. TASS: Foreign Ministry castigates Silicon Valley’s arbitrary censorship of Russian media – tass.com/politics/1244285
16. The Hill: Peter Zwack, Closing the remaining US consulates in Russia is shortsighted.
17. Interfax: There are still chances of reaching agreement before New START expires – Russian ambassador to U.S.
18. Defense One: Shannon Bugos, Biden Should Extend New START — and By the Full Five Years. Some have suggested the new president withhold a full extension of the nuclear-arms treaty in search of leverage for a new one.
19. The Virginia Gazette: Founder of American University in Moscow hopes Biden era will bring about changes in U.S., Russian relations. (Edward Lozansky)
20. Russia International Affairs Council: Zhao Huasheng, Should China and Russia Form an Alliance? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/should-china-and-russia-form-an-alliance/
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Sergey Markedonov, Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict: Delayed Resolution and Russia’s Interests – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/nagorno-karabakh-conflict-delayed-resolution/
22. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, BERLIN CLINICAL DATA CONFIRM ALEXEI NAVALNY HAD PANCREATITIS, DIABETES, LIVER FAILURE, STAPHYLCOCCAL INFECTION, MILD HEART ATTACK – NO NOVICHOK SYMPTOMS.