RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#39 :: Wednesday, 24 February 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#39 :: Wednesday, 24 February 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews: Russia’s coronavirus epidemic in retreat
2. PONARS Eurasia: Sarah Wilson Sokhey, COVID-19 in Russia: What Russians Expected, What They Got, and What They Think About It.
3. Interfax: Putin: Attempts to meddle in Russia’s sociopolitical affairs from outside have no prospects.
5. Wall Street Journal: Biden’s Nominee for CIA, William J. Burns, Set to Trade Diplomacy for Spycraft. Career foreign-service officer and self-described back-channel practitioner would lead an agency facing new challenges.
6. rt.com: Row as NGO Amnesty says Navalny not ‘prisoner of conscience’ due to far-right views & Western commentators claim RT is behind it!
7. NYU Jordan Center: Navalny and the Kremlin: Politics and Protest in Russia.
8. Novaya Gazete: Living Next to Putin’s Opulence.
9. No Yardstick: András Tóth-Czifra, Three tales from the regions – noyardstick.com/?p=875
10. rt.com: Even with pandemic and global economic downturn, Russian national debt lower than expected as country counts cost of coronavirus.
11. Reuters: Armenia seeks bigger Russian military presence on its territory.
12. TASS: Izvestia: EU opts for the mildest possible sanctions against Russia, experts say.
13. rt.com: Russia expects to win big from rapidly expanding LNG market – rt.com/business/516428-russia-lng-market-growth/
14. NPR: Biden Faces Decision On Gas Pipeline From Russia That Could Alienate Germany.
15. Foreign Policy: Bruce Allyn, What Biden and Putin Can Agree On. Both sides should take the long view if they are ever to reconcile.
16. The Duran: Francis Moore, The Great American Hypocrisy – why Biden made a deal with Putin on START – theduran.com/the-great-american-hypocrisy-why-biden-made-a-deal-with-putin-on-start/
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, International Challenges 2021: Geopolitics After the Pandemic – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/international-challenges-2021-geopolitics/
18. Washington Post: Katrina vandal Heuvel, Here’s what leaders facing global crises can learn from Mikhail Gorbachev
19. rt.com: Scott Ritter, How Polish wargame where it loses to Russia could become a self-fulfilling prophecy – rt.com/op-ed/516389-poland-wargame-russia-nato-war/
20. Awful Avalanche: Banderites Do What Banderites Do Best: They Bully Children – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2021/02/24/banderites-do-what-banderites-do-best-they-bully-children/
21. Intellinews: Sanctioned Ukrainian opposition leader’s wife enters politics
22. Carnegie Moscow Center: Maxim Samorukov, Kyiv Has Sanctioned Putin’s Best Ukrainian Friend. What Next?
23. New York Times: After Russian Cyberattack, Looking for Answers and Debating Retaliation. Key senators and corporate executives warned at a hearing on Tuesday that the “scope and scale” of the hacking of government agencies and companies, the most sophisticated in history, were still unclear.
24. NASA Earth Observatory: From Russia with Questions