RIA Novosti: Lavrov Criticizes West for Media Spin, Blackout on Ukraine
MOSCOW, June 2 (RIA Novosti) – Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Monday voiced his surprise at the Western media’s spin of the ongoing bloodshed in southeastern Ukraine and the fact that they either hushed up the real situation or showed “different pictures” instead.
“We are very concerned by what is going on there. People are being killed every day, there are more and more casualties among civilians, peaceful people. Army, combat aircraft, heavy weaponry are being used against them, residential districts come under fire. It all can be seen practically in real time. Unfortunately, most of the media hush up this information, show different pictures,” the minister said.
“Today I was surprised to watch several Euronews broadcasts that did not mention Ukraine at all,” he added.
Moscow has repeatedly condemned the new Kiev authorities for what it called “a punitive operation” and stressed the need for de-escalation of the Ukrainian crisis.
Lavrov said earlier that persuasion alone was not enough to make Kiev stop the violent special operation in the southeast of the country, which has claimed lives of many civilians and independence supporters.
Semen Semenchenko, the chief of the Donbass battalion, which is a pro-Kiev militia set up by the Right Sector nationalist movement in Ukraine’s southeast, said last week the crackdown could last as long as one year, despite the newly-elected president ordering to complete the operation at all costs.