March 17, 1999
This Date's Issues: 30943095

1. AP: Russian Political Rules Get OK.
2. AFP: Congressman calls for US cash for Russian home loans project.
3. Moscow Times: Conditional START II Bill Drafted.
4. AFP: Primakov warns of new arms race should START II fail parliament
hurdle.

5. Alfiya Kulsharipova: RE: In response to Mr White/JRL # 3093.
6. Itar-Tass: There Is Violence in Every Fourth Family of Russia MP.
7. Janine Wedel: Re: Response to Donald Pressley/March 7/3080.
8. W. George Krasnow: Open Letter on the Russian Crisis. (Revised version).
9. Jonathan Weiler: Re: 3093-White/Sexual Harassment.
10. Itar-Tass: Zyuganov: No More Antisemitic Statements From Makashov.
11. Reuters: USDA-'Key hurdle' erased from Russia food aid pact.
12. Mayak Radio Network: Primakov Addresses Academy of Sciences on Plans,
Funds.

13. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Natalya Shipitsyna, Yeltsin Outbids Camdessus.
IMF To Give Russia Three Times More Than We Asked.]

Russian Political Rules Get OK
March 16, 1999
By JUDITH INGRAM

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russia's executive and legislative branches tentatively agreed
Tuesday to a new set of political rules intended to increase stability ahead
of December parliamentary elections.

The draft truce largely calls for more dialogue between the branches of
government. A product of weeks of consultations, it was a vague and watered-
down version of some earlier proposals -- none of which had been acceptable to
all sides.

The agreement also would establish a working group to look into whether the
constitution should be amended, and includes a proposal giving parliament a
say in forming a Cabinet, according to a copy transmitted by Russian news
agencies.

The move toward political reconciliation came on the same day the lower house
of parliament, the State Duma, set a date for the start of its debate on
impeaching President Boris Yeltsin -- signaling how far the often-feuding
branches of government have to go to achieve accord.

Last year, Yeltsin fired the government twice and quarreled with parliament
over his candidate for prime minister. For its part, parliament blocked many
of the president's initiatives and launched the impeachment inquiry.

``The importance of the document increases as we move closer to the 1999
elections, which must form a new face of democratic authorities in Russia,''
Oleg Sysuyev, the deputy head of Yeltsin's administration, was quoted as
saying by Interfax.

The draft must be debated by the full parliament, dominated by the Communists
and other hard-liners trying to push through Yeltsin's impeachment. They said
the Duma debate on impeachment would begin on April 15.

The truce was initially proposed by Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov two months
ago, in what was widely seen as an attempt to create guarantees for his own
job through a provision that would have barred Yeltsin from dismissing the
Cabinet. Yeltsin has rejected the restriction of his presidential powers.

Since work on the truce began, many analysts have criticized it as another
instance of haggling over powers among Russia's political elite rather than an
attempt to ensure stability.

Yeltsin spent a mostly quiet day Tuesday in the hospital where he is
convalescing after a recurring, bleeding ulcer. He spoke over the phone with
Primakov about the need to quickly appoint a successor to Prosecutor General
Yuri Skuratov, presidential spokesman Dmitry Yakushkin said.

Skuratov abruptly submitted his resignation last month, citing health reasons.
Under Russian law, the upper house of parliament must accept Skuratov's
resignation and approve a successor proposed by the president.

Congressman calls for US cash for Russian home loans project

MOSCOW, March 16 (AFP) - A senior US Congressman said on Tuesday he wanted US
tax dollars to help create a new mortgage fund to enable millions of ordinary
Russians buy their homes at affordable prices.

Representative Curt Weldon (Rep., Pennsylvania) said that a healthy-home loans
system was key to revitalisation of the house building industry and creating a
middle class which would provide Russia with much needed economic stability.

"We want to have the government of America go further then they've gone
before," Weldon, a Russia expert and frequent visitor to Moscow, told
reporters here.

"Mortgages, which are the cornerstone of the economy in America, the housing
industry, that is what Russia needs to help create that middle class, to help
bring economic stability," he said.

Weldon said a US-supported fund could help entice the estimated 30-40 billion
dollars Russians are thought to have stashed away at home into the financial
system, he said.

"We've got to create some sense of confidence in the system, in starting a
mortgage system with total credibility," he said, adding that he had already
reached broad agreement on such a system with Russian deputies.

"This should be our number one priority," he said, adding "I'm willing to use
my vote in the Congress to provide some seed money," he said, declining to say
how much money he wanted the United States to stump up.

When Russia was borrowing money from the International Monetary Fund at 4-6
percent "there is no reason why that same money could not be used to provide
mortgages at below 10 percent rates," Weldon said.

"In my opinion, much of that money is going out of Russia, it's going to Swiss
bank accounts and US real estate investments and that has got to stop.

"The Russian people should be the beneficiaries of the IMF and World Bank and
US money, not institutions and not corrupt entities and not oligarchs who
think they can make more money out of programmes designed to help Russia
stabilise."

His comments came as five families in the second city Saint Petersburg became
the first to receive loans from a Russian mortgage firm offering cheap home
loans.

The scheme hopes to provide finance for scores of families in a city where 45
percent of the housing stock is in the form of so-called "kommunalki" or
communal flats shared by several households.

Five people signed up for the loans, which start at 5,000 dollars. To qualify
for a loan they have to prove earnings of at least 300 dollars a month to meet
the 90 dollar monthly repayments. That is well above average earnings in the
region of 29-56.5 dollars a month.

Moscow Times
March 17, 1999
Conditional START II Bill Drafted
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Lawmakers presented a bill Tuesday to make approval of the START II nuclear
arms reduction treaty dependent on the United States continuing to honor a ban
on anti-missile defense systems.

The bill, which would have to be approved by the two houses of parliament and
signed by President Boris Yeltsin, would allow Russia to back out of the START
II agreement if the United States withdraws from the 1972 Anti-Ballistic
Missile treaty. The proposed bill was sent to Yeltsin for initial review.

The U.S. Senate, meanwhile, was reviewing a bill Tuesday that would commit the
United States to a national missile defense system that opponents say violates
terms of the 1972 treaty, signed with the Soviet Union. President Bill Clinton
has threatened to veto the bill.

The bill, expected to pass the Senate, perhaps by the end of Tuesday,
"increases the odds that Russia will end the reduction of nuclear weapons,"
said Senator Carl Levin, a Democratic opponent.

A congressional delegation was in Moscow on Tuesday trying to persuade
deputies to accept the U.S. proposal, intended to allow development of a
system to protect all 50 states from ballistic missile attack. The change is
based on a new assessment of the threat of attack on the United States from
ballistic missiles potentially developed in countries such as Iran, Iraq and
North Korea.

The ABM pact keeps both sides from building an anti-missile defense system.
It's based on the notion that if both are unprotected, they won't risk a
nuclear attack for fear of devastating retaliation.

Under START II, which Moscow and Washington signed in 1993, the two sides must
reduce nuclear stockpiles to 3,500 warheads each.

Communists who dominate parliament have long delayed ratification of START II,
saying Russia doesn't have the money to dismantle old missiles and build new
ones allowed under the treaty. Russia would also be unable to fund a new
missile defense system for itself.

Duma Speaker Gennady Seleznyov said Tuesday that if Yeltsin agrees to the
latest bill, lawmakers will begin debating START II before Prime Minister
Yevgeny Primakov heads to the United States on March 24.

Primakov warns of new arms race should START II fail parliament hurdle

MOSCOW, March 16 (AFP) - Russia and the United States will get sucked into a
new arms race if the Russian parliament fails to ratify a key nuclear
disarmament treaty, Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov warned Tuesday.

Speaking in a pre-recorded debate broadcast on national television, Primakov
said the United States would unilaterally pull out of a cornerstone missile
defence agreement should Russian lawmakers fail to ratify the Strategic Arms
Reduction Treaty (START II).

"We have to protect ourselves against the possibility of the United States
leaving the ABM agreement," Primakov said, referring to the 1972 Anti-
Ballistic Missile (ABM) treaty which limits missile defence systems.

"If we do not ratify (START II), then I am more than convinced that the United
States will leave (the ABM) ... and we will launch a new arms race."

The United States has aired controversial plans to build a ballistic missile
shield to protect itself against "rogue states," an umbrella which would
apparently breach the 1972 ABM treaty that has served as a cornerstone of
other nuclear non-proliferation agreements.

Washington has also grown impatient with the Russian parliament's failure to
ratify the 1993 START II agreement that provides for both countries' nuclear
warhead stocks to be cut in half.

START II has failed to reach the State Duma lower house of parliament for a
vote as the opposition majority feels the treaty puts Moscow at a nuclear
disadvantage compared to Washington.

But Primakov urged lawmakers to ratify the agreement in the coming months so
that Moscow and Washington could get down to negotiations on a new, START III
treaty, that would slash nuclear arsenals even further.

"An agreement with the United States allows us to keep nuclear parity,"
Primakov said, "and this is very important. We will immediately begin new
talks (on START-III). The start of these talks is linked to our ratification
(of START-II)."

Primakov was joined in the taped debate by First Deputy Prime Minister Yury
Maslyukov and the chief of the general staff, General Anatoly Kvashnin, as the
government re-doubled its efforts to get the nuclear bill on the Duma floor in
time for ratification this spring.

"We will have to ratify (START II) anyway because rockets pose a great danger
with time," Maslyukov said. "They will be like a new Chernobyl."

Kvashnin meanwhile said Russia's nuclear arsenal would remain large enough to
serve as a deterrent against potential aggressors for many decades to come.

"We need to be able to convince any potential aggressor that a war against
Russia is impossible," Kvashnin said. "START II ... allows us to convincingly
prove the might of our return hit."

The Russian parliament had been ready to put START II ratification on its
agenda last autumn, but fury over US-led air strikes against Iraq scuttled
those plans.