Applications open – American Councils Russian study abroad programs + financial aid
Subject: Applications open – American Councils Russian study abroad programs + financial aid
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018
From: Elliott Kaduck <EKaduck@americancouncils.org>
Program website: http://acstudyabroad.org/rlasp/
American Councils for International Education is currently accepting applications for Spring 2019 semester Russian language study-abroad programs. The application deadline is October 15, 2018 for the following programs:
Advanced Russian Language and Area Studies Program (RLASP)
RLASP offers participants the unique opportunity to study Russian language and area studies in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Vladimir, or Almaty, while pursuing volunteer opportunities, internships, and cultural interests in an overseas immersion setting.
(Language prerequisite: one year of Russian or higher.)
Business Russian Language and Internship Program (BRLI)
Combining intensive business language classes and an internship in Moscow, St. Petersburg, or Almaty, BRLI prepares Russian language students for a career in the international job market.
(Language prerequisite: two years of Russian or higher.)
Russian Heritage Speakers Program
The Russian Heritage Speakers Program is individually-customized to address the specific needs of students who grew up speaking Russian and wish to strengthen their language skills. Available in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Vladimir, and Almaty.
Students admitted to American Councils programs are eligible to receive financial support from a wide range of sources, including the U.S. Department of State (Title VIII), Boren, FLAS, and the American Councils Study Abroad Scholarship Fund.
Additionally, American Councils is pleased to offer special funding for overseas Russian language study in Moscow during the Spring 2019 term. Program participants are eligible to apply for a $7,000 Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Fellowship as part of their application process.
ALL PROGRAMS OFFER …
- Comprehensive pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. as well as on-site orientation in each host city;
- Expert university faculty and class sizes of 1 to 6 participants to maximize individual attention to each learner’s needs;
- 20 hours per week of in-class Russian language instruction in grammar, phonetics, conversation, political science and area studies;
- Housing in conveniently-located university dormitories or with carefully-vetted host families;
- U.S. academic credit (administered through Bryn Mawr College) for coursework in history or political science as well as advanced Russian language;
- Carefully managed, substantive internships at such locations in such fields as business, marketing, journalism, STEM, social services, and more
- Conversation partners who assist U.S. students with language learning and help them find a niche in their university communities;
- Russian-American discussion groups that meet weekly to explore contemporary social mores and cultural issues;
- Creative weekly excursions that go beyond typical tourist destinations and offer students new insights into the host country life and culture;
- Extended regional field study excursions (5-6 days) with Russian-speaking peers and faculty to explore new regions and cities, historic and religious sites, meetings with local politicians, nature reserves, and more.
ABOUT OUR PROGRAMS
Operating since 1976, American Councils Russian-language programs are conducted in partnership with Moscow International University, the Russian State Pedagogical (Herzen) University in downtown St. Petersburg, the KORA Russian Language Center in Vladimir, and the Al Farabi Kazakh National University in Almaty. All American Councils programs are uniquely designed to maximize participants’ language gain by combining intensive, small-group instruction with a rich array of immersion activities to ensure participants break out of the ‘study abroad bubble’ and truly engage with local communities. Experienced resident directors provide 24-hour support and personal guidance to participants throughout their time abroad.
APPLICATION & QUESTIONS
Prospective applicants should check the program website for more information and to access the online application. The application deadline for these programs is October 15, 2018. Please direct any questions regarding the application process to the AC Study Abroad Team (phone: 202-833-7522; email: email@example.com).
Recruitment & Outreach Coordinator
AC Study & Research Abroad